March 31, 2010

we didn't need dialogue... we had FACES.































































magical photographs by my latest ohheartbestillohheavenhelpme-love: Eugenio Recuenco


I find the above photographic narrative (because this really is a narrative -- a film in stills, if you will) nothing short of magical. While viewing it, you are transported backwards in time to the real Golden Age of Film, the silent era, the days when Hollywood(land) was where Koreatown is now (I would know, I live in an apartment that once belonged to Mary Pickford!), when Charles Chaplin had the power and clout that the entire Disney industry does now, when -- as Norma Desmond so eloquently put it in Sunset Boulevard -- actors "didn't need dialogue; we had FACES." While viewing the photographs, you're watching Buster Keaton with Theda Bara, Louise Brooks, and Clara Bow in turn. You're seeing overly-stylized sets, which create more of a picture book feel on film than a photographic one. And the fashion... oh the hair and clothing and painted-on makeup!! To die, to die, and wake in a dream where women once again walk around like works of art, and men stroll the streets looking dapper in suits and caps.

Well, on that note, I'm off to go day dream the day away ♥


xxo,
R. Coco

13 comments:

  1. I am so in LOVE with these photos! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the drama and "still" feel. Plus anything from a good 'ole old-fashioned black and white movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was so beautiful....loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are STUNNING. Thanks for sharing these photos x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recuenco is magical, isn't he?? He never disappoints! The female model here is too good to be true, as well -- those lips!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are awesome pictures! and sunset boulevard is one of my favorite movies.

    this is a nice blog, really.
    i love vintage so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Wow, what a pretty blog! I'm delighted to have run into it!

    Cheers from Buenos Aires!

    Miki

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so so glad that you are all loving the photos! :)
    And aw, shucks, guys. Thank you for all of your compliments on my blog as well. You are giving me the ultra warm n' fuzzies.

    Tara - Recuenco IS magical, absolutely fer sher! And the model is really wonderful, as well. I also love the male model, he really looks just like Buster Keaton!! Must have been some spirit channeling going on on that shoot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is lovely. The big, dark, deep set eyes on those girls remind me of Clockwork Orange...spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great images! The photo with the French bulldog is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic shoot! I love the FACES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh I posted this on my blog last year, nice to find someone with the same exquisite taste as me!

    ReplyDelete

be my pen pal...